Employment (specific to students)

  • On-Campus Employment:  F-1 Visa status students are generally permitted to work on campus part time at the school that issued his/her Form I-20 (20 hours per week while school is in session; can be full time during official school breaks.)  For initial entry, on-campus employment can begin no sooner than 30 days before classes start.  On-campus employment is “incident to status” and does not require authorization by the U.S. Customs and Immigration Service (USCIS). 

  • Off-Campus Employment:  Must be recommended in SEVIS by the Designated School Official and be adjudicated and approved by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).  If granted, the employment cannot begin until the student has received the Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from USCIS.


A student may be authorized for off-campus employment under the following circumstances:

  • Severe Economic Hardship

  • Must have been in F-1 status for at least one full academic year.

  • Must prove to USCIS that employment is necessary due to severe economic hardship caused by circumstances beyond his/her control that arose after obtaining F-1 status.

  • Internship with an International Organization

  • Employment based on the Special Student Relief Program